Mares Smart Review: Key Features and Benefits
Scuba diving into the depths of the ocean is an exhilarating experience that demands reliable equipment, and the Mares Smart Dive Computer is an exceptional companion for this adventure.
Compact, intuitive, and brimming with advanced features, this watch-sized dive computer is a game-changer even if you’re a novice or seasoned divers. Its design exhibits a delicate balance between complexity and simplicity, making it very functional yet user-friendly.
Below are a few of the key features you should consider about the Mares Smart Dive Computer:
The Mares Smart offers four dive modes: air, nitrox, Guage, and free-diving. This versatility makes it suitable for a wide range of diving activities.
- Air – This mode is for diving with regular air (21% oxygen) and allows you to set the maximum depth, bottom time, and safety stops. It also shows your current nitrogen levels in real-time.
- Nitrox – Nitrox is a mix of nitrogen and oxygen that divers use to extend their bottom time. With this mode, you can set up two different gas mixes and their oxygen percentage.
- Guage – This mode is suitable for technical divers who want to track their bottom time but do not need decompression information. It displays the current depth, maximum depth reached, and dive time.
- Free-Diving – The free-diving mode tracks your surface interval time, descent/ascent rate, and current/maximum depth while free-diving.
Also, because the Smart is small enough to be worn as a daily watch, it also has a watch mode. In watch mode, you can set alarms, view the time in a 12 or 24-hour format, and even use it as a stopwatch.
Easy To Read Display
Ease of readability is a crucial feature for any dive computer, given that you need to quickly and accurately read data while underwater. The Mares Smart Dive Computer excels in this regard. Despite its compact, watch-sized design, it manages to have a remarkably clear and easy-to-read display.
Your dive information is intuitively distributed over three rows, ensuring that data is neatly organized and easy to grasp at a glance.
The top row highlights critical information like current depth and dive time, the second row displays safety stop information and temperature, and the bottom row shows additional data such as ascent rate and no-decompression limit.
This intuitive layout allows quick comprehension of essential dive metrics, making your diving experience safer and more enjoyable.
Intuitive 2 Buttons User Interface
Another great feature of the Mares Smart Dive Computer is its exceptionally intuitive user interface. It is operated through two conveniently positioned buttons, which promises a seamless user experience. Its simplicity significantly reduces the learning curve for first-time users and enhances the ease of operation for seasoned divers.
The buttons are ergonomically placed, making them easily accessible even when wearing gloves. The first button allows you to navigate through the menu, while the second button allows you to select options and validate choices. This approach ensures you spend less time fumbling with controls and more time immersing yourself in the awe-inspiring beauty of the underwater world.
Log Book Capacity and Connectivity
Your diving experience isn’t complete without the ability to log and revisit your dive info after every dive. The Mares Smart Dive Computer comes equipped with a log book capacity that can hold up to 20 to 25 hours of diving, which is about 60 to 75 dives, based on an average dive time of 20 minutes. The logbook maintains records of essential dive data like dive time, maximum depth, temperature, and any safety stops, allowing you to revisit your dive details diligently.
You can also connect the dive computer to your laptop or PC via a USB cable, enabling you to transfer, analyze, and store your dive data on the Mares Dive Organizer (PC) or Divers Diary (Mac). However, you will have to purchase the USB cable separately since it’s not included in the package.
Alarms and Warnings
Safety is paramount in diving, and the Mares Smart takes this very seriously with an array of alarms and warnings that keep you alert to potential hazards. It provides both audible and visual alarms, ensuring you don’t miss any critical alerts, even in challenging underwater conditions.
- Ascent Rate Alarm – If you ascend too quickly, you risk developing decompression sickness. The Mares Smart Dive Computer closely monitors your ascent rate and alerts you with an alarm when you’re rising too fast, thereby ensuring your safety during your return from the deep.
- Maximum Depth Alarm – This alarm is a feature you can set to your preferred maximum depth. Once you reach this depth during your dive, the computer will alert you. It’s a great way to keep yourself within your comfort zone, particularly for beginner divers.
- Dive Time Alarm – Similarly, you can set a dive time alarm to remind you when you’ve reached your desired dive duration. This alarm is useful for maintaining control over your dive time and planning your ascent.
- Missed Decompression Stop Alarm – Decompression stops are essential during your ascent to allow your body to expel accumulated nitrogen safely. If you miss a stop, the Mares Smart will alert you with an alarm, ensuring you minimize the risk of decompression sickness.
- High PO2 Alarm – This alarm warns you when the pressure of oxygen in your body exceeds a safe level. It is particularly useful when diving with Nitrox.
These are some of the key alarms and warnings offered by the Mares Smart Dive Computer. They contribute significantly to the safety of your diving experience and give you peace of mind to fully enjoy your underwater exploration.
The Mares Smart Dive Computer is powered by a user-replaceable CR2450 battery. This allows you to conveniently replace the battery yourself, avoiding the hassle and cost of sending the unit back to the manufacturer or a service center for battery replacement.
The battery typically lasts for about 200 to 250 dives or about two to three years, depending on usage. When the battery is low, an icon will appear on the display, alerting you ahead of time to replace the battery. Plus, the process of replacing the battery is straightforward, requiring only a small screwdriver.
Mares Smart: Manufacturers Specification
Segmented Dot Matrix
Yes, 2 Gases
PC Interface Compatible
User Changeable Batteries
Yes, CR2430 lithium battery
Free Dive Mode
Our Rating: Mares Smart Dive Computer
The compact and sleek design of the Mares Smart Dive Computer makes it a comfortable fit on the wrist, without compromising on readability. But, the segmented display feels a little old-fashioned.
With its user-friendly interface, advanced features, and safety alarms, the Mares Smart offers excellent functionality for divers of all levels. However, On-board memory is small, and it’s easy to accidentally trigger a 24-hour lockout.
Ease of use
The simple two-button user interface and intuitive menu navigation make this dive computer easy to use for divers of all levels.
Priced reasonably, the Mares Smart Dive Computer offers great value for money with excellent features and sturdy design.
Check price and get the best deal at these recommended retailers Site:
What We Like
Here, we’ve curated a list of key features that we’ve particularly appreciated in the Mares Smart Dive Computer. These attributes, we believe, make it stand out in the crowded market of dive computers and contribute significantly to enhancing your underwater experience.
- Compact Design: The Mares Smart Dive Computer impresses with its compact, wristwatch-like design. It’s lightweight and comfortable, perfect for those who prefer a less bulky dive computer on their wrist, which also makes it great for traveling. The sleek look also allows it to double as a regular watch, making it suitable for daily wear.
- User-Friendly Interface: The two-button interface of the Mares Smart is easy to navigate, making it a breeze to access and understand the variety of functions it offers. This simplicity enhances the user experience, especially for beginner divers who are new to using dive computers.
- Affordable: Despite its advanced features and functionality, the Mares Smart Dive Computer sits at a comfortable price point. This affordability makes it a fantastic choice for divers on a budget, without compromising on quality or functionality.
- Safety Alarms and Warnings: The numerous safety alarms and warnings, including ascent rate alarm, maximum depth alarm, dive time alarm, missed decompression stop alarm, and high PO2 alarm, significantly contribute to the safety of your diving experience. These features provide divers with critical alerts to avoid potential hazards.
- User-Replaceable Battery: The convenience of a user-replaceable battery is another feature that sets the Mares Smart apart. The ease with which you can replace the battery yourself saves time and money, plus the battery’s longevity guarantees fewer replacements overall.
What We Don’t Like
While the Mares Smart Dive Computer indeed impresses with its range of features, there are a few areas where it falls short:
- Segmented Display: The segmented display feels a bit outdated in comparison to the full-dot matrix displays offered by some competitors. This can make the information slightly harder to read at a glance, especially in low visibility conditions.
- Limited On-board Memory: The onboard memory of the Mares Smart is relatively small and capable of storing only about 35 hours of dive profile data. This can prove to be limiting for divers who prefer to keep a more detailed log of their dives.
- Lockout Risk: One of the major drawbacks is the risk of accidentally triggering a 24-hour lockout. This can happen if you dive again too soon after downloading your data, which can be particularly troublesome for divers who plan multiple dives in a day.
- No Wireless Air Integration: Lastly, the Mares Smart does not support wireless air integration, a feature that is increasingly common in many dive computers today. This means you’ll have to rely on a separate submersible pressure gauge to monitor your tank pressure.
Related Dive Computer Reviews
Check out these other similar Dive Computer we reviewed.
Our rating: 4.4/5
Our rating: 4.1/5
Our rating: 3.9/5
Our rating: 4.7/5
Our rating: 4.8/5
Our rating: 4.8/5
Our rating: 4.7/5
Our rating: 4.0/5
Our rating: 3.8/5
Our rating: 4.1/5
Frequently Asked Questions
The battery typically lasts for about 200 to 250 dives or about two to three years, depending on usage.
Yes, the Mares Smart Dive Computer has a user-replaceable CR2450 battery, making it easy and convenient to replace the battery when needed.
Yes, you can connect the dive computer to your laptop or PC via a USB cable, enabling you to transfer, analyze, and store your dive data on compatible software. However, the USB cable is sold separately.
Yes, with its user-friendly interface and various safety alarms, the Mares Smart is an excellent choice for beginner divers. Its compact design and affordable price make it a popular option among those starting to explore the underwater world. Overall, we highly recommend the Mares Smart Dive Computer for all levels of divers
The Bottom Line
After reviewing the Mares Smart Dive Computer, we can confidently say that it is a reliable and affordable option for entry-level divers. Its compact design, user-friendly interface, and safety features make it a great choice for beginners and intermediate divers alike.
Plus, the option to replace the battery yourself is a convenient feature that adds to its value. Overall, we highly recommend the Mares Smart Dive Computer for anyone looking for a reliable and feature-packed dive computer.
So, if you’re in the market for a new dive computer, be sure to consider the Mares Smart – you won’t be disappointed!
Safe diving, everyone!